About Saint John's
St. John’s was founded as a mission chapel for summer residents back in 1872 by Father McCook. The earliest Sunday services were held in the parlor of the McCook’s summer home, welcoming Anglicans/Episcopalians from the surrounding communities. Later, the original church building was erected on what is now St. John’s Green across from the Children’s Museum on Main St., fondly remembered as the “Little Green Church”. Our present building, housing our Church sanctuary, parish offices, library, nursery, choir room, classrooms and the Bond Parish Hall were completed in the late 1960’s. The Episcopal Diocese of Connecticut granted St. John’s “parish” status in 1965. The first service was held in the new nave on ________________________.
Since becoming a Parish, and after many years of faithful service by a long list of visiting and supply priests, Father Richardson Libby was called to be St. John’s first Rector. MORE HISTORY here.